Roasted Root Vegetable Crostini with Cranberry Relish
Roasted Root Vegetable Crostini, a hearty, vegetarian appetizer that even the carnivores in your family will devour!
- olive or vegetable oil, as needed
- 3 shallots, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1 inch squares (4 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed into 1 inch squares (2 cups)
- 8 oz brussels sprouts, halved
- 8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
- 8 oz fresh cranberries
- zest and juice from one orange
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2-4 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1 french baguette loaf, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- Roast your vegetables:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss vegetables with 2-4 tsp of olive or vegetable oil (whichever you have on hand) and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. They should have a nice coating but not be dripping with oil. Spread vegetables out on one or two cookie sheets. You want them in an even, flat layer to ensure nice browned edges.
Roast vegetables for 20-30 minutes, tossing once after 10 minutes.
- Make the cranberry relish:
Add the cranberries, orange zest, orange juice, and sugar to your food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times, or until evenly diced. Let the mixture sit for at least five minutes before adding any additional sugar (it sweetens up as it sits!).
- Toast your bread:
Brush both sides of your bread slices with oil, then either a) carefully arrange your bread slices directly on the oven rack or b) place them in a large, ungreased cookie sheet before putting them in the oven. Toast for 10 minutes, flipping once if using the cookie sheet, or until nicely browned.
- Assemble crostini:
Spread one teaspoon of relish onto each of the toasts, then top with roasted vegetables.
Save some time and prep as much of this as you can the night before! Slice the baguette and place slices in a ziploc bag. Cut up all the vegetables and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. Up to two days ahead, make the cranberry relish and store in fridge.