An easy Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe that will make mushroom-lovers happy, especially the ones doing the cooking since it only takes 15 minutes to make. To have this soup ready in under 15 minutes, first read through the recipe. As you read gather together all of the ingredients and all of the tools, pots, pans, etc. that you will need so that everything is at your fingertips. There is no need to prep any of the ingredients though. All prep is part of the instructions and is counted in the 15 minute time.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 16 oz. sliced cremini (baby bella) mushrooms (buy them already sliced)
- 6 cups low or no-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. coarse black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- ¼ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Put a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil. Chop the onion and add it to the pot. Stir. De-stem the shiitake mushrooms. Discard stems and slice the caps. Put slices and the cremini mushrooms into the skillet. Increase heat to high. Stir occasionally until wilted and browned in places.
- Meanwhile, pour 5 cups of the broth into a large pot or Dutch oven. Put it on high heat. Add the salt and pepper. Cover.
- Mince the garlic cloves. Measure the flour and remaining 1 cup of broth into a mason jar. Put on the lid tightly and shake it really really well. Add the minced garlic to the mushrooms and stir. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the flour mixture and stir well.
- Once the broth has reached a simmer remove it from the heat. Stir in the evaporated milk and then the mushroom and flour mixture. Return to heat just until it reaches a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Pulse with an immersion blender* until most of the mushrooms are in small pieces (I like to leave some big pieces though). Serve.
*If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer about ¾ of the mushrooms along with about half of the broth (or however much fits) into a blender or food processor. Blend until mushrooms are in small pieces. Return it to the soup pot and stir.